It’s always great fun to find ways of preparing delicious foods that most people can’t believe are actually healthy for you. If you have a sweet tooth like me, I’m sure you’ve tried to find ways to still enjoy sweet treats, but also try to make them healthier than typical junk food desserts. Sugar in particular is a big problem as it can affect energy levels and increase body fat. When companies try to make a healthy version of their desserts, quite often all they do is reduce the fat content but increase the sugar content or artificial sweeteners.
Below is a great, healthy, chocolate-peanut-butter fudge recipe that takes only 5 minutes to make and is really simple. The great thing is that it contains no added sugars, no artificial sweeteners, and all healthy fat sources.
(peanut butter can be omitted if you prefer plain chocolate)
• Extra dark chocolate bar (3-4 oz bar works well — look for at least 70% cocoa content, but try to go up to 90% to minimize the sugar content)
• 4 or 5 Tbsp of your favorite organic nut butter (almond butter, cashew butter, peanut butter all work well)
• 2/3 to 3/4 cup of organic coconut milk (great source of healthy saturated fats from medium chain triglycerides – MCTs)
• 2 tbsp rice bran (additional healthy fiber source)
• 2 tbsp oat bran (more healthy fiber including soluble fiber)
• 1/2 cup raw pecans, almonds, or walnuts (yes, more healthy fats, antioxidants, and tons of vitamins/minerals)
• 1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins (optional based on your tastes)
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• a little stevia to lightly sweeten (stevia is a natural non-caloric sweetener as opposed to harmful artificial sweeteners)
Start with the coconut milk, nut butter, and chocolate bar in a medium saucepan and put it on the lowest heat possible. Continuously stir as the chocolate, coconut milk, and nut butter melts together. Once these melt together add in all of the other ingredients and stir together very well.
Once everything is mixed well together, spread the mixture onto some waxed paper laid out in a baking dish and throw it in the fridge to solidify.
Now you have some of the healthiest chocolate fudge ever known to man!
Keep in mind that you still need to keep your serving portions small because this is still a calorie-dense snack even though it has some health benefits. The good news is that it is lower in sugar and calories than typical fudge and has loads more nutrition than any typical fudge.
Please remember to follow us on Twitter and Facebook using the buttons on the right!